In Honor of Our Origins
In 1975 a group of citizens sought to form a formal volunteer fire department in Golden Valley, Arizona with petition number 384 to provide a vital service to the community. The notice of election was completed with resolution number 1030, and the election for formation was held November 4, 1975 with the following results; 88 votes in favor, 13 opposed votes and one spoiled vote.
The Golden Valley Volunteer Fire Company was formally established November 10, 1975 under resolution number 1043 and was Duly Organized with resolution 1116. At that time, the Fire Department covered 171 square miles. The approximate border landmarks were: (East to West) the base of the Cerbat Mountains to the base of the Black Mountains. North to South from Mohave Estates to portions south of Oatman Road.
Earl Misak was the first elected Fire Chief and Mrs. Marian S. Evans was the first Secretary-Treasurer. The roster in December 1975 showed Chief Earl Misak, Assistant Chief Beryl L. Agee, Secretary-Treasurer Marian Evans, Captain David Bonnee, Henry Barzowske, Lloyd Chadwick, Mary Coffee, Robert Cornman, Jesse Edwards, Ken Farr, Aubray Gist, Howard Harrison, Donald Harrison, Arnold Hill, Abel Lamorie, Ernest Lunsford, John Marex, Raymond McVoy, Wayne Nelson, D.B. Nunneley, Edgar Richardson, Victor Righter, Arthur Talley, Michael Tharp, Joe Wales, John Williams and Ray Wills.
Over the years the Golden Valley Volunteer Fire Company evolved into a combination department of both volunteer and career firefighters, with an elected five member board of directors and is known today as the Golden Valley Fire District.