Golden Valley Fire District Stations 11, 12 and 13 in addition to Fire Chief Yeager received a call at 4:34 p.m. for the American Legion Post #22 located on Verde Road. Station 13 was called off while in route.
Post member Arthur Schuman had just turned on the post’s barbecue grill and had walked inside. While inside he heard the sounds of the propane tanks venting after flames began lapping at them when the barbecue caught fire.
Schuman ignoring his personal safety raced outside and picked up a garden house and began to spray water on the barbeque fire as another post member called 911. Schuman then grabbed a small fire extinguisher in an attempt to “put” fire retardant on the fire, but because the small metal doors of the barbecue were chained his efforts failed.
Upon arrival, the firefighters observed fire and smoke billowing from the barbecue on the back patio area. The firefighters immediately deployed their hoses, cut the chain on the barbecue and extinguished the blaze.
According to fire officials, Schuman’s “firefighting” efforts may have kept the fire from spreading to the main American Legion building. The only damage other than the barbecue was a small section of the sun canopy on the back patio.
GVFD officials recommend that residents always inspect their barbecue grills prior to cooking in order to ensure that there is no leaking propane and are in proper working order.
By Butch Meriwether
Photographer/Public Information Officer